One can move an SFS filepool to different disks without a regeneration; been
there, done that, more than once (from FBA to 9345, from 3380 to 9345 and
from 9345 to 3390).
But, never try it with COPYFILE: the SFS server has RESERVEd disks, such
minidisks look like one with just one file, but they are special: the
records in the fm6 file will never move: the classic CMS minidisk structures
(directory, allocation bitmap, ...) are placed in front of the minidisk,
then follow the file's data; with the DISKID function one can obtain the
block nr of the first data block).
SFS nor DB2 do use the normal CMS file APIs, but the fm6 file can be used
with the classic CMS file API too.

Now to move a minidisk to another disk-type:
- Make a new minidisk with at least as much blocks as the old one
- If you have installed the full DFSMS product (free of charge), use
   DFSMS COPY fmOldDisk vdevNewDisk (RESERVED
- Without DFSMS, use these commands
  -- Issue the RESERVE command to make the new minidisk RESERVED
  -- ACCESS new and old minidisks
  -- use FILELIST to verify that the fm6 file on the new mdisk
     has as least as much records as on the old mdisk
  -- copy the records one by one
      PIPE < fn ft fmOldDisk |SPEC RECNO 1 1-* 11 |FILEUPDATE fn ft
fmNewDisk
SFS is very happy with the result, DB2 is not.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support