And here is another excerpt from the Hardware Management Console Guide:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/id6t0100/CONTENTS?SHELF=EZ2HW125.bks&DT=19990528105305#3.9.8

 which states it is doable but recommends going through the operating
system.

No big deal.

The HMC updates the HSA (Hardware System Area) dynamically which is all a
POR does statically or z/OS does dynamically.  You can do the same as long
as you tell VM about it after you do it, by varying the device on/off.

The IO Config is maintained in 3 places:

On disk in the IOCDS
In the operating system when it is IPLed or modified with Vary on/off
In the HSA (Hardware System Area) at POR or dynamic reconfiguration.

As long as you keep the 3 in sync (really just the 2 and 3) that is all
that really matters.

3.9.8 Configure Channel Path On/Off

Note: This task is available in Advanced Operator or System Programmer
mode.

Configure on and configure off are channel path operations you can use to
control whether channel paths are online or on standby in the active
input/output (I/O) configuration:

A channel path is online while configured on. It is in the active I/O
configuration and it can be used.

A channel path is on standby while configured off. It is in the active I/O
configuration but it cannot be used until it is configured on.

If you have experience using other systems, you may have used a CHPID
command with ON and OFF parameters to configure channel paths on and off.

You can use the Hardware Management Console workplace to configure channel
paths on and off. However, operating systems will not be notified when you
use the workplace to configure channel paths on or off. For example, if
you configure off a channel path, the operating system running in any
image that owns or shared the channel path is not notified, and the next
operation from the operating system to the channel path causes an error.
It is recommended you use operating system facilities rather than the
Hardware Management Console workplace, whenever possible, to configure
channel paths on and off.

To use the workplace to configure channel paths on or off:

1.      Open the Task List from the Views area.

2.      Open CPC Operational Customization from the Task List Work Area.

3.      Open Groups from the Views area.

4.      Open the group that contains the CPC image whose channel paths you
want to configure on or off.

Note: Configure Channel Path On/Off is considered a disruptive task. If
the object(s) is locked, you must unlock it before continuing. For more
information on disruptive tasks, see "Object Locking for Disruptive Tasks"
in topic 1.2.4.

5.      Drag and drop the selected object on Configure Channel Path On/Off
in the CPC Operational Customization tasks area. The Configure On/Off
window displays showing the current state and desired state of each
channel path.

6.      Use the window lists and push buttons to toggle the desired states
of channel paths you want to configure on or off.

7.      Select the Apply push button to make the desired states take
effect.

Use the online Help to get additional information for configuring channel
paths.
© Copyright IBM Corp. 1999
IBM Library Server Copyright 1989, 2005 IBM Corporation. All rights
reserved.

Return to library:   z/OS | z/OS.e | TPF | z/VSE | z/VM | IBM Hardware |
IBM System z Redbooks
Glossary:   IBM terminology
Publications:   How to order publications
Readers:   Download IBM Library Reader | Download IBM Softcopy Reader |
Download Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®
Library management:   Download IBM Softcopy Librarian
Contacts:   Contact z/OS

Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat, the Acrobat logo, and Acrobat Reader are
registered trademarks of Adobe Systems incorporated.

George Henke/NYLIC
11/04/2010 03:04 PM

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
cc

Subject
Re: Dynamic IO Gens on boxes without z/OS?

No, here is something from the PR/SM Planning Guide from the Hardware
Bookshelf for configuring a CHPID online dynamically:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DA3A6013/CCONTENTS?SHELF=DA3416C1&DN=GA22-7123-13&DT=19960605055404

3.2.17.4 Dynamic I/O effects on Channel Path (Re)Configuration

   If a channel path is dynamically added to the configuration using
dynamic
   I/O configuration, all the logical partitions in the channel path
access
   list (for a shared channel path) or the one logical partition in the
   channel path access list (for an unshared channel path) are targeted to
   have this new channel path configured online.  The dynamic I/O
   configuration change does not bring the channel path online.

   The channel path will be configured online to the targeted logical
   partition when one of the following occurs:

   °   The system control program running in the targeted logical
partition
       issues the appropriate reconfiguration command to configure the
       channel path online. For MVS, this would be

       CF CHP(nn),ONLINE

   °   The CHPID service language command is issued to configure the
channel
       path online to the targeted logical partition while the logical
       partition is active.

   °   The targeted logical partition is activated.  (This includes the
case
       of the targeted logical partition first being deactivated and then
       reactivated.)

   °   A power-on-reset is done with the IOCDS that has the new dynamic
       changes defined in it.  Subsequent to the POR, activation of the
       targeted logical partition will configure the channel path online.

   On processors that are not EMIF capable, dynamic I/O additions do not
   cause unshared channel paths to be targeted to come online to the
owning
   logical partition.  An explicit channel path configuration command or a
   POR is needed to target and configure the channel path online.

Marcy Cortes <marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com>
11/04/2010 03:01 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Dynamic IO Gens on boxes without z/OS?

But that's a disruptive activate, right?  VM would need to be down?

Marcy