From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of George Henke/NYLIC
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 12:39 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Dynamic IO Gens on boxes without z/OS?

Yes, really nice.  I like CBDSACT in Step 4 below.  It is functionally
equivalent to the z/OS command.

1. Use the HCD ISPF dialog to create a new work IODF based on your current
production IODF as described in the z/OS HCD User's Guide. Continue to use
the HCD dialog to apply your configuration changes to the work IODF.
2. Build the production IODF under z/OS HCD: From the Primary Task Selection
Panel, select 2. Activate or process configuration data, then select 1. Build
production I/O definition file.
3. Transfer the production IODF to z/VM. To receive it on z/VM, use the CMS
RECEIVE command or the CBDSIMP REXX utility.
4. Activate the new configuration using the CBDSACT REXX utility with the
TEST option first and verify these are the changes you want. Then issue the
CBDSACT REXX utility without the TEST option to perform the dynamic I/O
changes.
5. Update either the SYSTEM CONFIG file and the PARM disk or both. Logon to
the user ID MAINT and copy the PRODIODF file to the PARM disk (CF1) and
update the SYSTEM CONFIG file if you have the IODF file specified. Keep the
old PRODIODF file on the disk as well. Thus, if the system is IPLed, it will
pick up the latest production IODF.
6. Generate an IOCDS from the production IODF using the REXX utility
CBDSIOCP. This will write out the IOCDS for next IML.
28 How

Marcy Cortes <marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com>

11/04/2010 03:33 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

cc

Subject

Re: Dynamic IO Gens on boxes without z/OS?

Ok, we found this that describes what we can do.
http://www.vm.ibm.com/related/hcm/vmhcdmig.pdf

It looks like the CBDSACT utility will generate the dynamic activation stuff
for us.

Marcy
<http://www.vm.ibm.com/related/hcm/vmhcdmig.pdf>

"Email Firewall" made the following annotations.

Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate e-mail
system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient.  This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended
only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this
message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately.