On Tuesday, 06/28/2011 at 10:06 EDT, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
wrote:
> > You will not find any published information on the mechanism.
>
> There is a tiny amount of information in the POP manual in the external
> interrupt section on the original LPAR deactivation signal and what's
supposed
> to happen when it triggers, but the end comment is that the effect will
be
> "implementation dependent".

What POP are you looking at?  I can't find any reference to LPAR
deactivation.  The only machine-dependent external interrupt I can find is
"Service Signal" and that covers a lot of ground, notifying the OS of the
completion of some previously requested machine function.

The 9730/9221 used to reflect "now on batteries!" and "now on utility
power!" via an external damage machine check.  The logical response to
"batteries!" would be to almost-but-not-quite shutdown and quiesce.  That
is, go into an enabled wait for "utility!" and then come roaring back to
life with an almost-but-not-quite IPL.  (The machine even had a published
DIAGNOSE to cause the machine to power down.)

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556