> and does it make any difference that the gait he "lost" was his trot and
> not his tolt?

Good point Vicka, however, you are also saying that with the right
barefoot trim and some other changes he is trotting again... so, you
farretted out the problem, made the necessary changes and found his
trot again...

Pam is saying that her farrier is excellent... and that the gait is
gone... that she has to wear shoes to gait..

I am stating that if a horse has to wear shoes to gait.. then the gait
is not natural...

Personally I think if she used Raven's barefoot trimmer, she would
find that her Icy would gait after a few trims,

I and my horses love our track system, take a look~~~
http://picasaweb.google.com/dakota.charm/TrackForHorses