I think there is somewhat of a similarity...except that ALL horses with any
degree of training should be able to stand while someone makes a minor
adjustment in their clothing, grabs a sip of water, whatever, but that I
wouldn't really expect so many riders to be prepared to ride totally
bridleless.  I'd say that being able to drop the reins is a very basic skill
for any horse/rider pair though.

I sure wouldn't let a small child ride any horse I own out of my sight...no, I
started to say unless I knew the horse could be trusted to stand still, but
actually, I simply wouldn't let any small child ride a horse I own out of my
sight on the trail...period.  Too much can go wrong, for the horse or for the
kid.   And liability of a child riding out of my sight on one of my horses?  Or
would I let a small child ride bridleless on one of my horses?  Both just makes
me shudder.  I don't think that would be covered under the umbrella
liability-free scenarios the signs posted on my property refer to.

*I* would eventually like to get to the point I can ride bridle-less.  I would
like to say my skills are to that point.   I drop the reins for extended
periods now, but if I do it, I will only do it on my own horses, but I won't
encourage anyone else to do it on my horses.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
PM