I evaluated Ximian about three months back. I downloaded, installed and even
paid them for it.

The software is not free or open source - not even in parts (the license is
here
http://support.ximian.com/cgi-bin/ximian.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno
=020318-000005)

There are two products: Ximian Connect and Ximian Evolution. Neither of
these replaces MS Exchange.
Evolution replaces Outlook for many functions (does not provide shared
folders). Ximian Connect allows Ximian Evolution to talk to MS Exchange (and
supports shared folders thru exchange).

AFAIK, Evolution is free but Connect is not. That costs $69 per copy and you
still need a license to Microsoft Exchange CAL (which btw costs $69 more and
has outlook bundled free).

So, Ximian is neither free as in beer nor as in speech. (and it is something
that you buy over and above Outlook not as a substitute to it !!)

With Warm Regards
Tarun Upadhyay

Induslogic Inc.
4th Floor, Picadilly House