On 02/02/07, Gora Mohanty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

TOP:
Firstly of all I agree with you that M$'s participation was not reason
of LUG-D opting out.

[SNIP]
> First of all, I was at all ILUG-D meetings to discuss participation in
> LA2007, and, frankly speaking, if people had a strong enough opinion
> about such things, you should have cared enough to show up at these
> meetings. Bolting the stable door after the horse has fled does not
> work.

Voting and joining in are different as some of the expressions may be
from further away but the issue is not M$ and our participation
.
> I will end up with taking exception to opinions expressed in various
> fora that people chose to participate in LA2007, or not to do so, based
> on *their* assumptions about ILUG-D involvement. (a) All ILUG-D
> decisions are made by voting among those present at meetings, not by
> dictatorial fiat, and (b) ILUG-D is not its brother's keeper, not even
> in the open-source world. Make your own damn decisions, on your own
> terms.

This whole discussion started off from fact of FOSII/LiFY choosing M$
main sponsorer of Linux Asia event. We have no saying in their
decision making but if we see some one who is actively against
community spirit of OSS movement being given a pride of place on
platform named after OSS movement then you have to protest and make
yourself heard.

If some people of LUG-d (or other community) choose not to - they are
also right and have valid view point.
Sudev Barar