On Tuesday 22 Jul 2008, Saurabh Jain wrote:
> > 1. Is it legal for someone to distribute a Redhat Enterprise Linux
> > copy that he bought from Redhat without any Redhat agreement or
> > restrictions? If yes, than again I get back to my old question
> > which is how will he get the distro.
>
> It is illegal. The binaries are copyright protected. The source is
> re-distributable. The Red Hat logos and trademarks embedded into
> their product can also not be redistributed.

Just because the binaries are copyright doesn't mean they can't be
redistributed, otherwise no one would ever be able to distribute any
software at all -- all software is copyrighted :)  Since the licence
(not the copyright) determines redistribution rights, and all the
binaries in RHEL are FOSS licensed, it is perfectly legal to
redistribute them.

Don't know about redistributing trademarked stuff (I don't think there
should be an issue but again, I'm not a lawyer).

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/