On Jan 31, 2006, at 11:53 AM, Karen Thompson wrote:

I¹m trying to resolve this without Apple support

Karen,
What's the point of not taking advantage of a service you already paid for?? Granted, phone trees and waiting on hold aren't much fun, but if you volunteered to suffer through that part (rather have Mom do it), you will probably have a solution (possibly involving sending it off for repair) in quick order. Is an Apple store nearby for you to take it in for service? Seems like a hardware problem to me. The Norton utilities seem to have a bad reputation, so your decision to uninstall that software sounds like a good move. I would guess that a system reinstall *might* help (sounds like kind of thing *I* would do before calling AppleCare, but I can be rather stubborn too ...). Good luck & hopefully someone else will be able to diagnose your iMac better than my off the cuff remarks!
Patrick Daine