From: Don Hinkle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Chas,
        I thought TechToolPro was good.

I agree, and so does Apple -- they licensed a version of it as "Apple Hardware Test."
> I do realize that Norton had some
problems with Macs earlier on, but thought by now they'd licked all the problems.

Nope. And of course now they've given up entirely and discontinued utilities.

Can you be more specific?

Yes. Specifically, the root-level files Norton installs -- "Filesaver" and a bunch of daemons to control it -- cause more problems than they fix. Ditto the virus protection, etc.

Also, their directory repair is poor and destroys data other utility programs need. DiskWarrior even has a message that says something along the lines of "We cannot repair this directory -- some other program (Norton) has tampered with the directory structure."

 This warning is like saying
"Don't trust [insert politician of choice]

You need reasons for not trusting a politician? What part of "politician" are you having trouble with?? :)

Cheers
Chas