From: "Thoma Mattox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ready to upgrade a few programs and have a question:

What should I use for Word Processing, etc. In the past I have relied on A=
ppleWorks.  However, this is no longer supported.

You have a wide variety of options. While Appleworks is finally being phased out, it is still widely available (still comes on most new consumer Macs) and continues to do a very nice job for most people. You can safely stick with it for a while yet, but I commend your wisdom in seeking alternatives now before you HAVE to.

For most basic word processing, I use the simple TextEdit program found on every OS X-running Mac. It can save files in (and read files) in MS Word format. Of course I should also mention that AppleWorks can read both Word and Excel files (and save in those formats) and has been able to do so for years now.

Indeed, it's actually hard to find a word processor that DOESN'T save in Word format anymore, though it's usually not the default option. As a writer, I've been very fond of MarinerWrite ($70), but there's a bucketful of other programs that range from free to $50 that various audiences appreciate.

What about iWork or NeoOffice? iWork doesn't have any form of spreadsheet,= but appears to be more stable than NeoOffice...Will both (or either) of th=
em open Word Documents (.doc) or Power Point Presentations?

iWork 06 has a limited form of spreadsheet in both Pages and Keynote (the two programs that make up iWork) -- a "Table Editor with Calculations" which produces spreadsheet-like tables, and a "chart data editor" which produces stunning-looking charts.
http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/features/tables.html
http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/features/charts.html
http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/features/compatibility.html

I my limited experience with iWork 06, the MS Word compatibility is pretty good but not perfect. I haven't missed Excel thus far, but I don't do a lot of that sort of thing.

Pages will open MS Word documents generally without issue, and Keynote will open Powerpoint presentations without issue as well. Keynote can read and write Powerpoint format, though some of Keynote's fancy (and beautiful) transitions are usually lost when down-saving to Powerpoint.

As for NeoOffice, the program is maturing at a healthy pace and offers most non-hardcore users a really viable alternative to MS Office, all for free. It's primary drawback is that it's compatibility with MS Office files are also only "pretty good" rather than "perfect," and of course it's huge size (124MB download!!), which puts dialup users right off. At $79.95, iWork is a great alternative to Office if your primary need is word processing, Powerpoint-type presentations and limited spreadsheet/table/chart usage.

iWork is -- by several orders of quantum magnitude -- more slick, but for many NeoOffice's less-polished look is actually more comfortable if they were used to the PC version of Office in all its horrific ugliness. If you've got the disk space, it's worth having them both around.

Cheers
Chas