Indeed, it's actually hard to find a word processor that DOESN'T save
in Word format anymore, though it's usually not the default option.
As a writer, I've been very fond of MarinerWrite ($70), but there's a
bucketful of other programs that range from free to $50 that various
audiences appreciate.

--I used to be able to open MS Word documents in my OS 8.1 Mac, using Claris Works. However, for some reason, my wife's iMac wouldn't open MS Word documents (she ran OS 9.1 and used AppleWorks). Overall, all she needs is the ability to look at news letters, etc. that get emailed over to her. Problem usually is that she expects it to operate like her work computer (double click the attachment and it opens). It just hasn't been that easy yet. Additionally, she gets some pictures emailed to her in a meta file format that won't open...it just frustrates her. I am trying to make her computer as functional as I can, given it is nearly 7 years old...

I discovered with my new (May 2005) iMac that Appleworks 6 had Dataviz's great MacLink Plus bundled again. All I do is drag the .doc document on to the Appleworks icon in the dock, and Bob's yer uncle, it is "translated". To be sure, the occasional item doesn't open, but 98% of them do. Works for Excel files too. Can't speak to graphics much.
--
Terry McCune