Clark Martin <cm...@sonic.net> Nov 29 08:37PM -0800  wrote:

>Melvyn & Edith Halbert wrote:
>>  version of Tiger, so I know first hand how inconvenient it would be
>>  for me to run 10.4.11 on my iMac G5 at home.

>Me thinks you have a problem specific to your setup. I have Tiger
>10.4.11 running on a G4 QuickSilver. It has Classic installed and I
>have a number of old programs on it and I have no problems with it
>opening with the correct application. In fact I have some real old apps
>that I haven't used in years, I hadn't used them since I was using a
>system running OS 9. For some of the documents I didn't realize I still
>had the app installed until I double clicked on the doc and it launched
>the app under Classic.
>
>And I have also used the "Change All" quite successfully.

Thanks for your response and your report that Tiger works properly
with Classic on your computer.  I wish I knew how to make Classic on
my iMac G5 work under Tiger as well as your G4 does.

Since writing my first message to this group, I tried the "Change
All" command; I only succeeded in making all of my text files created
by BBEdit Lite appear now as TextEdit files.  Several years ago I
found that I could restore the Creator Application as the Opening
Application by replacing the preference file
com.apple.LaunchServices.plist with an older version of the same
file.  That remedy worked again today.

Without my knowing why, the camera import problem has now
disappeared.  I can now use Image Capture or iPhoto or Canon's
CameraWindow -- they all work properly.  All I did was to install the
version of Mac OS X 10.4.2 (the original system that came with the
iMac G5) on a bootable external FireWire drive, and later booted up
with that drive to test the installation.  I don't see how this could
have affected the system on my computer's internal HD, but it
apparently did.

So at the moment I seem to be back to where I was before I sent my
original message.  I hope my system stays in good condition from now
on.

Thanks to all who made suggestions.  I haven't had time, with all the
system installations, research, and attempts at repair, to read the
iMac list for the past three days, but I hope to catch up next week.

Melvyn Halbert