On Feb 3, 2010, at 9:05 AM, MacDiva wrote:

Well then they will loose many users, won't they?  if all Internet
businesses did this, they are effectively closing the window  to the
Internet to low end users with Macs that are already very capable but
cannot, even of they wanted upgrade to those newer browsers. I  know
of TechSmith also, that will not have available their Jing to users
that do not have the  latest OS in Mac. What a waste. I have looked
without success for an older version of Safari for my 12“ , 800 Mhz
iBook and cannot find it. I am stuck with the older Safari on that
machine.  So in the future, it is going otbe the best Internet for
those who can afford to buy bew computers with their accompanying OS.
who says there is freedom of information? is this a concerted strategy
from business?

One. If you're going to top-post, at least trim the quoted message.

Two. They're not going to lose many users, because the browsers they're dropping haven[t been supported for a very long time, or have been thoroughly supplanted (like IE) by newer versions.

Three. It was an IE vulnerability that got Google hacked. MS isn't fixing IE 6 becusse they consider it an EOL application. As a Web developer I say "Free at last, free at last, thank god almighty I'm free of IE6 at last!"

As a side effect, you're likely to notice web pages become marginally faster as they shed the excess JS code that IE6 required to work.

Four. Based on published sales figures, the vast majority of Mac users are using Intel-based systems.

Five. Your iBook can run a modern, supported version of Firefox, or Opera.

Six. Your iBook can run 10.4, under which ALL of the supported Mac browsers work. 10.4 was a substantial improvement over 10.3, and is pretty much light years beyond earlier versions of OS X.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona