On Feb 5, 2010, at 9:04 AM, Dan wrote:

I have complained often... to no avail.

Being behind the times is par for a lot of large businesses. This occurs when IT groups intentionally set things up so as to maintain their job security. It's bad planning and bad oversight (management). OTGH, it's a quite necessary, as the hacker underworld needs it to survive.

To an extent, but in many cases it's out of the local IT hands....sometimes it's ineptitude or extortion on the part of outside vendors. The scientific instrument industry is rife with that kind of stuff.

All of our Win2K systems are still around because the instrument manufacturers haven't updated their software to XP or later; they want us to buy a brand new $120K LC-LC-MS instead.

Sometimes it's because out outside-imposed rules on the IT people; for instance by UA policy (handed down by the AZ Board of Regents) it is mandatory that any system connected to the UA campus network run an antivirus program.

In theory that includes my iPod. In practice that also means my netbook running Linux.

It's as if HR instituted a rule that to qualify for health insurance every employee must undergo BOTH an annual pap smear and prostate exam.

Another great example that's more germane to LEM groups is Sun's blindingly rigid and stupid rules about full release versions of Open Office.

If I go to their main download page I can get version 3.1.1 of OO for Intel, AND 3.0 for PPC, IN Macedonian, or two different versions of 3.1 in Serbian, but the English version for PPC is still the antiquated 2.4 which is an X-windows program, and doesn't even open the latest files.

Why? Allegedly because they haven't had enough PPC users sign up to do their exhaustive testing to release the PPC version from Release Candidate status, EVEN THOUGH the code for the PPC and Intel versions ARE IDENTICAL...it's a simple compiler switch; their rules for the main download page state that only official releases are allowed there. So to get the 3.1.1 version of US English OO for PPC you have to go spelunking thorough their web site until you find it.

This is the corporate equivalent of the petty tyrant who installs him/ herself as the head of the Homeowners Association, and starts running around with a ruler measuring the height of everyone's grass or the distance from the curb to their trashcans on trash day, just so they can asses fines and feel superior.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona