I think you are dead on about creating a fresh, new browser, but why
stop there?  If you got older equipment, why not go for the gusto and
do something totally insane and come up with an entire OS with an
integrated browser that is secure and modern?  I know that sounds a
bit too much like Billy Bob, but I was thinking open source.  Most of
the linux distros seem to have too much crap in them and run slower
than a democrat filibustering a tax reform bill.....and that is mighty
slooooooow.  I certainly don't have the technical capability to even
begin a task like that but I bet you could do it.  I rather envision
something modular and simplistic and yet with a simple, clean
interface.  This wouldn't be a good choice for a power user that wants
to test a ton of software or introduce a lot of extra stuff.  This is
for Joe User or Joe Student that just needs to check email, browse the
web, listen to audio, watch videos and create spreadsheets, documents,
presentations and flyers.  You make it do that, and make it dirt cheap
or free and you got a winner.  I do tech support for a living.  Trust
me, most of these people that call in all day long day after day don't
want or NEED anything with a lot of buttons and controls.  LOL