On Oct 29, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Dan wrote:

> Back in the PPC days, we "considered" buying AppleCare because it often never
> got used.  These days, I will not sell or recommend ANY x86 based Mac without
> it.

My Intel iMac has given me much less trouble than my iBook G4, and my father's
MacBook has lasted much longer than his iBook. From my experience Intel Macs
have been much more reliable than PowerPC models, though I attribute that to
the constant refining and improvement of the designs, not which chip the
computers use.

I must say, though, that PowerPC laptops were much more usable, with removable
batteries, PC cards, and a huge amount of ports. Now the side of the 17"
MacBook Pro looks like an Ice iBook G3, very simple in comparison to the side
of the 17" PowerBook G4. Sure, the new one may have more USB ports, but I'd
rather have FireWire 400, S-Video, a real DVI port, and a PC card port any day
(and, while I think dial-up should have been vanquished a decade ago, it is
nice to have a modem for when I'm somewhere that doesn't have real internet, or
if I need to send a fax).

And, of course, PowerPC computers had much better names. "MacBook" sounds like
what a Dell hacked to run OS X should be called, and Mac Pro is even more
uninspired. PowerBook was one of the best product names of all time and I still
can't believe that Apple just abandoned it for such an awful name, plus now the
grid that Steve Jobs made such a big deal over no longer works (sure Mac Pro
and MacBook Pro match, but what is iMac doing there?).

PowerPC will always be my favorite, but when even the newest models are four
years old (with designs that are five years old), they are quickly becoming
unusable for many purposes. Most modern video sites like Netflix and Hulu won't
even run properly, if at all, on PowerPC. At least it looks like my PowerBook
G4 will still serve me well as a secondary laptop for a while longer, but the
days of being able to use a PowerPC computer as a primary desktop in the modern
world are over.

Steven