Michael Fair wrote:

> > I am pleased to announce the availability of a selectable hierarchy
> > separator for Cyrus IMAP.  Up until now, Cyrus used a netnews-style
> > hierarchy, where '.' was used as the hierarchy delimiter -- thus
> > prohibiting '.' from appearing in mailbox names.  This release allows a
> > UNIX-style '/' separator to be used in the same fashion that David
> > Fuchs' (and derivative) patches.
>
> Out of curiosity, is the Alternate Namespace approach
> so as not to affect the on-disk structure going to be
> the permanent future of this patch or this an interim
> approach to maintain backwards compatibility while we
> transition our installations?
>
> I'm assuming the latter, but before I get too far
> ahead of myself I thought I'd better ask.

My intent right now is to keep the on-disk structure the same, but CMU
_might_ have different ideas.  There has been talk about making '/' the
default and '.' an option, because it would make the code cleaner and
possibly a little faster.  But, this may or may not ever happen.

I didn't make this happen because I need it (nor does CMU), I basically
did it because I knew that it would be fairly trivial to build on top of
my alt-namespace work, and that people want it.  Since providing this
feature any other way would be time consuming, with no immediate benefit
to the primary developers, this might be as close as it gets to being
part of the standard distribution.

That being said, I'm curious why you ask.  Do you see some inherent flaw
in the current approach?  Or do you just want to make sure that you
don't get bit by some incompatible change to the on-disk structure?

Thanks,
Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127