Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 09:29:44 -0400
   From: Ken Murchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   My intent right now is to keep the on-disk structure the same, but CMU
   _might_ have different ideas.  There has been talk about making '/' the
   default and '.' an option, because it would make the code cleaner and
   possibly a little faster.  But, this may or may not ever happen.

I think performance is the only reason to change the on-disk
structure.

Since we're unlikely to switch to / soon, I have an organizational
bias to keep with what we have now.  If the code gets simplier and
faster switching, we'll evaluate that.

But we'll probably stick with this general idea for the near future.

Larry