Andi Gutmans wrote:

Some people here said that we weren't successful in keeping BC between
PHP 5 and PHP 4. Whoever said that must not have migrated applications
between the versions. It took very little effort to do so. Most people I
know did it in a matter of hours for sizeable code bases and in fact
most time was spent on regression testing which would need to be done
anyway.

I think the arguement was rather that we put so much effort into maintaining BC, yet still there were some minor issues, but more importantly users were still reluctant to jump to PHP5. Partly because they could indeed attain PHP4/PHP5 compatibility with the same code. Therefore they could hold out longer before making the jump.

regards,
Lukas