On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 7:32 AM, Peter Lind <peter.e.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for jumping into the thread, but I couldn't help noting that you seem
> confused about the distro suggestion. I think Ubuntu was the example, and
> there's nothing random at all about their release process. There are fixed
> timelines and life cycles in Ubuntu - having less branches does not in any
> way stop them from having a fixed release process and schedule.

It is about "random" release being chosen as LTS. For many users, it
will preventing migration until a given feature is part of a LTS
release.

Our proposal to have fixed life time and release cycles does not have
this random effect and each x.y release is equally supported for the
same duration. The amount of branches can be reduced easily and even
if we may have many at one point, it will be only about sec fixes,
that's really not a problem (a bit of automated tasked will help here
too).

Cheers,
--
Pierre