Hi,

From a userland perspective, there should be absolutely no feature addition in
a "bugfix" version (x.y.Z+1) : we would see (just like what we see today)
frameworks, apps, or libraries depending on specific bugfix releases, and this
would not make php versioning easier to understand for anybody.

And for you core devs, this is an open window for bypassing the standard
versioning process, which could result in long discussions or determining if a
feature is a self-containing one or not, and should be released in a bugfix
version.

Allowing these exceptions would not IMO enhance the release process...

Cheers
--
Benjamin Dubois