On Jun 2, 2011 12:46 AM, "Pierre Joye" <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi Chris
>
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:34 AM, Christopher Jones
> <christopher.jo...@oracle.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 06/01/2011 03:09 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:

> > Pierre,
> >
> > There are some immediately practical things here.  Some things will
> > be a large jolt for the community and might be better introduced in
> > future releases.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > Good:
> >  - Scheduled releases
> >  - Use of RFCs
> >  - No PHP script breakages in x.y.z+1 releases
> >
> > Too complex or not good:
> >  - Number of concurrent branches: Johannes's suggestion was good
>
> This proposal for distros not for programming languages or similar
> tools. All users I talk to need fixed timeline, life cycle, etc. to
> have a clear and plan-able way to deal with php versions.

Sorry for jumping into the thread, but I couldn't help noting that you seem
confused about the distro suggestion. I think Ubuntu was the example, and
there's nothing random at all about their release process. There are fixed
timelines and life cycles in Ubuntu - having less branches does not in any
way stop them from having a fixed release process and schedule.

Regards
Peter