Stas Malyshev wrote:

changes. While that almost certainly is due to the poor way that the
some of the
moves were documented, a version of 5.2 is still a preferred base for
some? And
this should perhaps be viewed as the current LTS branch? Certainly for
windows

But
a) it is not, since we don't support it. Somebody else could do the
support, backport patches, etc. - but as far as PHP group is considered,
this version is not supported anymore and nobody has any desire to do it
as far as I know.
b) we certainly couldn't know anything about it in 2006 when we released
5.2.

Currently off the shelf, 5.2.17 is the 'old stable' but for some windows users it IS the only available version. Changing the rest of the infrastructure to support PHP5.3 builds of windows is not just a matter of changing the PHP package! So while PHP may have washed it's hands of the problem, those users who are stuck in the hole still need to be supported in some way. But all that is being asked for is security fixes which seem to be a LOT less of a problem nowadays anyway? So support IS just a matter of maintaining availability to it and the correct builds of extensions that go with it.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL