On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>>
>> That's never going to happen. We don't have paid developers that we can
>> assign tasks to. We have volunteers who work on things they need or find
>> fun to work on. We can't possibly provide a solid road map two (I assume
>> you mean major) versions out.
>

> The conflict here is the modern plan to allow major version updates a lot
> more often than in the past. On one hand I can understand that people get
> frustrated that things are not changing quick enough but similarly there are
> those of us who prefer stability over flashy new 'features'. I know I keep
> banging on about 'PHP6', but surely it is now time to nail down the PHP5
> developments and start with a clean sheet of paper for PHP6? That I feel
> would make many of us happy and alleviate a lot of the current animosity?
> Alright we can simply stop at what I will call a minor version bump ...
> PHP5.4 ... but there is not enough support for a stable minor version. These
> major/minor updates are simply happening too often for some of us to cope
> with. Certainly the re-instigation of many features which were turned down
> in the past would suggest that a second stream would make sense?
>

> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL

Just by looking at the features that are coming to PHP 5.6 I think all
the community will get plenty of features to work with in the future.
Thanks to the help from Nikita and Sara, I'll also submit soon another
(proper) RFC for return type hinting / return typing which along with
parameter changes parameters, function autoloading (I still hope
Anthony will change his mind and come back to finish things properly)
so yes, I'll be one of the contributors, if the RFC is accepted. I'd
be ready to support it in the future as well but at least for the time
being I have to rely on help to get things done.

That said, maybe after 5.6 release it would be a good time to have a
meeting and talk about future PHP versions and how we get there? I can
suggest Berlin as a place to do it, there's plenty of activity here,
lots of startups using PHP and a pretty nice city.

Until that, could we consider making a poll on the website to let the
users vote for their feature changes and so we can really gauge what
the community that uses PHP wants / needs?

Kind regards
----
Florin Patan
https://github.com/dlsniper