If the initial RFC would have been accepted as is (without the later proposed
changes after the lengthy discussion) you would have sprung the same "trap" as
in that particular case study -  code would be exposed.

Argument for "only a particular code path in a particular environment" is
somewhat weak because in that case  why does even ' .user.ini' feature exists
(especially in apache sapi where you can even do engine = 0) as it also can
lead to wildly different language behaviour?

rr