> I did mention such example with the 'engine' setting (
> https://www.php.net/manual/en/apache.configuration.php#ini.engine as it's
> PHP_INI_ALL ). Of course you could ask why would anyone do that (and afaik
> it's sapi specific) but technically it can happen just in one "hard to
> notice" subdirectory/tree.

This does not explain how someone could use that feature *by accident*. I gave
an example where you can use short open tags by accident, and it is
really easy (the most popular IDE sometimes generates code with short open
tags) and hard to notice (it is not easy to spot a difference between `<?`
and `<?php`). How can you compare this to situation when you create a separate
file with an explicit directive to disable PHP engine, and then be
surprised that code is not executed?

Regards,
Robert Korulczyk