I did mention such example with the 'engine' setting (
https://www.php.net/manual/en/apache.configuration.php#ini.engine as it's
PHP_INI_ALL ). Of course you could ask why would anyone do that (and afaik it's
sapi specific) but technically it can happen just in one "hard to notice"
subdirectory/tree.

Note that atm short_tags are by default enabled and the disable happens only in
php(-cli).ini so unless one throws the ini configuration files around willy
nilly it is a deliberate decision from administrator.

p.s. to clarify I'm not against changing the default value to disabled (to be
consistent with the distributed ini-examples and (coding) recommendations) but
I still don't understand what is the reason to deny for end-users the ability
to change/re-enable this feature if they need it and choose so.

But according to some emails for some reasons the existence of short tags now
has turned out to be a major language future/feature blocker .. so go figure.

rr