>   >  On Sep 15, 2019 at 8:57 AM,  <Paul M. Jones>  wrote:  >   >
Anyone may initiate an RFC for any subject.  >  For example, this phrasing
means the RFC system itself can be put up to vote, to be removed and replaced
with something entirely non-democratic. I do not want dive too deep into this
debate though I do want to point out the irony of the above statement.

But I start by saying I have been paying a lot of attention recently to the
concept of governance because — well — I live in the USA and given our current
President many of us are asking ourselves the same questions.

Paul warns against replacing the RFC system with something "non-democratic." To
me hat is an ironic statement because PHP is not a democracy, it is an
oligarchy[1]. A more correct statement would have been "For example, this
phrasing means the RFC system itself can be put up to vote, to be removed and
replaced with something that denies those currently in control their current
level of control, whether moving more towards a dictatorship or towards a more
open democracy, such as a representative one."

To be clear, I am not arguing whether oligarchy is good or bad for PHP in this
message, just pointing out that PHP governances is in fact not democratic if
you consider the interests and concerns of all of userland. #justsaying -Mike
[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligarchy