Date:        Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:58:16 -0700
    From:        Alain Durand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  | It all depend on the definition of "rapid".
  | If rapid means every "hours" or every "day", I find it very unlikely.

You're actually talking about the frequency of renumbering there, rather
than how quickly a renumbering can be accomplished.  Clearly the frequency
can't be more than once per renumbering event duration, but it can be much
less (if I could renumber in an hour, that doesn't mean I will renumber
every hour - but it certainly means I can't renumber faster than that).

  | Previous experiences in renumbering even small sites have shown me
  | that the overall process can takes weeks, and that there are unavoidable
  | non-technical dependencies and administrative steps that must take place
  | and they consume most of the time.

This is the "we don't need good brakes on cars, we know cars don't do
faster than people's walking speed, because there has to be someone walking
in front of each one waving a red flag" argument ...

What we have to work towards, and assume that we will achieve is the ideal
target, until it is clear that cannot be reached - rather than assuming that
because we haven't achieved it yet, we never will.

It used to be that configuring an IP node took considerable time and
expertise - then bootp was invented, which made it easier (then that
turned into dhcp) - but that (either) still required someone with experience
to configure the server.  IPv6 has autoconf which makes it easier still.

We can do the same with renumbering - that it has been difficult in the
past doesn't mean that it must remain so.

I want to have it so that once I know a new prefix is available to me, I
can have it in use on all my nodes (say 20K of them) in 5 minutes.  And
simultaneously deprecate an old prefix, if that is appropriate.  And then
when an old prefix is done with, delete it from all nodes in the same
kind of timespan.

Note that for the DNS, each of those two is a renumbering event (though if
the second (delete) is known when the first (new prefix) is arranged, they
might be collapsed into one).   From the outside the whole thing may take
a month, and be considered to be one long renumbering process (from new prefix
appearing to old one vanishing) - to the DNS however there are two
separate events that each need to happen rapidly...

kre