Nick,

Doing review of the draft now.  It is good.  No opinion yet.
Don't get me wrong I think we need to solve this I just want to be
careful how, because we got that ND stuff a runnin now and test
deployed.  But many of us have products now in 2nd and 3rd release.
But O-DAD appears to be add on so that's  cool.  Just don't want to burn
an interface without just cause so being cool as product engineer :--)

On the theoretical discussion.  I think the entire layer 3 effort to all
agree and standardize (Charlie and others I know clearly are testing) is
far far from baked as standard.  I do refuse to listen to folks who tell
me we are close when I am on the mail list or reading the archive and 5
very very bright people all correct do agree, but none of them will
compromise with each other technically.  Then I say from 10 years in the
IETF working and implementing that this is simply going to take awhile.

On the ignore the standard diatribe.  I simply believe the people who
support my day job are now wanting technology that requires mobile ipv6,
ipv6, ipsec/TLS, BGP+, TCP-Multicast-Fixes et al, SCTP, and lots of good
technology created here, are simply tired of waiting for us in this
community.  If they have enough money and opportunity then they can
attract the top vendors.  I do know of such giants that are ready to
discuss lets get vendor x,y,z and contract gurus a,b,c together and make
this work.  When we are done we can build specifications for standards
bodies.  That will happen soon.  At that point they are not even
listening to us here.

L2 vs L3.  This battle rages.  I am positive we require layer 3 handover
simply because I believe mobility requires IP to be totally successful
and I would argue IPv6 and IPv4 is a dead end street.  But per the baked
discussion above we are far from agreement on hmipv6, LMM, and PKI
(mostly in the market) and without these tid-bits I just don't see L3
happening first.

Here is my vision of large $$$$$$ deployment of Mobility:

1. First there is none.  Users accept to reconnect first but using IPv6.

2. Second.  We get full products with MIPv6 and we still use L2 for
handover.  Similar to 3G but more 3G+ (I can't say 4G cause I still
believe its marketing hype but maybe not I have stopped following it).

3. At some point in the future we finally get to L3 handovers.

4. I believe AAA will be as important as Ipsec and will play a big role
in all three cases above to make it work and charge money for it :--)

I think #3 best case for true deployment into large enough test beds
that it is ready for real deployment (I roam in L.A. from home to
airport and stay connected) and will scale across town via the routers,
is best case 5 years away.

I usually send first draft comments to just the authors and I hope to
next week as I do have technical input for you.

Regards,
/jim