Well, here's my attempt at becoming flame bait :-)

I'm close to concluding that address scope is simply a bogus concept.

1. We've been arguing about it for years and have reached no sort of
consensus. That suggests to me that there is in fact no consensus to be
reached.

2. Apart from link-local, scope boundaries are ill-defined.
(What's a site? Is the whole of a corporate network a site? Is the DMZ
inside or outside the site? etc.)

3. We aren't clear whether we want scope because it maps security boundaries,
reachability boundaries, routing boundaries, QOS boundaries, administrative
boundaries, funding boundaries, some other kinds of boundaries, or a
combination.

4. There are some well known and important scope-breaking phenomena, such
as intermittently connected networks, mobile nodes, mobile networks,
inter-domain VPNs, hosted networks, network merges and splits, etc.
Specifically, this means that scope *cannot* be mapped into concentric
circles such as a naive link/local/global model. Scopes overlap and
extend into one another. The scope relationship between two hosts may
even be different for different protocols.

5. In practice, scope is not explicit; it's implicit in firewall rules,
VPN setup, static routes, DNS entries, application level trickery,
configuration files, and brains.

6. Middleware (a.k.a. Apps) has no idea how to handle scope anyway.
In fact, given the above, I don't see how a useful API to express scope
concepts could be defined. If we can't define such an API, we can forget
about expecting middleware to do anything sensible about scope.

So I don't believe that a scope field as part of the address format
is a meaningful idea, because I don't think scope is a single-
valued function in the first place.

I think we'd be better off to simply forget about address scope.

   Brian

Brian E Carpenter
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM

NEW ADDRESS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> PLEASE UPDATE ADDRESS BOOK