Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Well, here's my attempt at becoming flame bait :-)
>
> I'm close to concluding that address scope is simply a bogus concept.
>
> 1. We've been arguing about it for years and have reached no
> sort of consensus. That suggests to me that there is in fact
> no consensus to be reached.
>
> 2. Apart from link-local, scope boundaries are ill-defined.
> (What's a site? Is the whole of a corporate network a site?
> Is the DMZ inside or outside the site? etc.)

We intentionally don't define the boundaries of an area in an IGP, so why do
we need to do so here? Of all the arguments about scope, this one is the
most bogus.

> 3. We aren't clear whether we want scope because it maps
> security boundaries, reachability boundaries, routing
> boundaries, QOS boundaries, administrative
> boundaries, funding boundaries, some other kinds of boundaries, or a
> combination.

That is because these are all local decisions, and the IETF can't dictate
where any one of them might be. All we can do is provide the tools for the
implementers of those boundaries to make the job easier.

> 4. There are some well known and important scope-breaking
> phenomena, such as intermittently connected networks, mobile
> nodes, mobile networks,
> inter-domain VPNs, hosted networks, network merges and
> splits, etc. Specifically, this means that scope *cannot* be
> mapped into concentric circles such as a naive
> link/local/global model.

Well, I have to disagree with this.

> Scopes overlap and extend into one another.

No, a link must be wholly contained within a site, and by definition
anything that is less than global fits wholly within global. Yes multiple
local regions can overlap, but that does not invalidate the overall model.

> The scope relationship between two hosts may even be
> different for different protocols.

There is nothing inherently wrong with that. The file mount on likely wants
to be restricted, while a 3party conf app on the same hosts would likely
want to avoid being restricted. From an improving the overall Internet
security perspective, I think the default case should be restricted, then
provide a hook to get around that when appropriate.

> 5. In practice, scope is not explicit; it's implicit in
> firewall rules, VPN setup, static routes, DNS entries,
> application level trickery,
> configuration files, and brains.

The logical endpoint of your argument is to abolish brains ...

> 6. Middleware (a.k.a. Apps) has no idea how to handle scope anyway.
> In fact, given the above, I don't see how a useful API to
> express scope
> concepts could be defined. If we can't define such an API, we
> can forget about expecting middleware to do anything sensible
> about scope.

I agree with the last sentence, but not the premise about defining an API.
One way to describe a desired outcome would be, bind to a limited range
address associated with ibm.com.

> So I don't believe that a scope field as part of the address
> format is a meaningful idea, because I don't think scope is a
> single- valued function in the first place.

I assume you mean a way to identify > link but < global. While there might
not be clear contiguous boundaries for each of the values in that space,
they can all be described as a single value for 'something inbetween'.

> I think we'd be better off to simply forget about address scope.

We could choose to ignore the most commonly deployed segment of the existing
Internet, but how useful would the results be.

Tony