Eliot,

I kept reading, because if these things are created they *will*
certainly end up being used as end point identifiers. We have to invent
some multi6 solution quickly to prevent them also being NATted.

Unfortunately, this applies even if they are not created. Before RFC 1918,
lots of sites were configured with Net 1, because at least one vendor shipped
boxes configured for that by default. Similarly, IPv6 sites that can't get
stable PA prefixes will configure *something* as a stable prefix,
even if the IETF does nothing.

As for the locally-assigned pseudo-random variant of Hinden/Templin,
it carries a low risk of collision, which is why the centrally-assigned
option is there. I would advise my own employer to go for the
central solution, to avoid the minute risk of a collision. But the central
solution will take a while to set up, for reasons that Geoff has
documented. The local solution could be there in a hurry, by IANA action.
If I needed a limited-range prefix this week, I'd prefer that to nothing.

As I think I already said, if you want cryptographic assurance of identity,
an IPv6 prefix isn't the solution. They are too easily forged. That's
the real risk, not a random number collision.

   Brian