Hi,

[speaking without any chair hat on]

Chairs, Perhaps we need to just accept that we can't get consensus on
revised wording for the M&O bits and leave the text unchanged
relative to RFC2461?

It's long past time for getting closure on this issue and moving on,
yet we continue to have the same back-and-forth on the mailing
list. :-(

I agree with this.  It really boggles the mind that this conversation
has occurred and is still going on at least 10 years after I saw the
first argument about the M&O bits. We need to stop believing that these bits can force the hosts on a network to implement something or if they have implemented it, enable something. They can't. Jeeze, what a sorry
state of affairs.

While it probably would have been more fun if there were more bits to argue about (or less bits?), I think there is still some value in trying to clarify the bits. Also, as Jinmei points out RFC2362bis removed the definition.

I think that if we change the text to be more descriptive about what the bits are instead of trying to define an action an implementation should take, it might help get to consensus. I tried to remove as much text as possible.

For example:

   M :
        1-bit "Managed address configuration" flag.  When set, it
        indicates that addresses are available via Dynamic Host
        Configuration Protocol [DHCPv6].

        If the M flag is set, the O flag is redundant and can be
        ignored because DHCPv6 will return all available configuration
        information.

    O :
        1-bit "Other configuration" flag.  When set, it indicates that
        other configuration information is available via DHCPv6.
        Examples of such information are DNS-related information or
        information on other servers within the network.

    Note: If neither M nor O flags are set this indicates that no
    information is available via DHCP.

-----

I made the assumption that from the clients point of view, DHCPv6 and DHCPv6-lite are equivalent and didn't call out DHCPv6-lite separately in the O flag description. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Comments?

Bob