Jinmei:

This new text doesn't work for the "O" flag. It implies that only
dhcplite clients care about the O - this is not correct. *ALL* DHCPv6
capable clients need to honor the "O" flag - it just means that they
only do Information-Request (not Solicits).

>           - If the M flag is not set, nodes that implement
>             [DHCPv6lite] SHOULD use it as described in RFC3736.

This should be (as Thomas/Ralph had):
          - If the M flag is not set, the node SHOULD use DHCPv6 as
            described in RFC3736.

Frankly, I thought the text that Ralph and Thomas worked out was
sufficient. I don't mind if the "Note that" is changed as you suggest.

However, in a re-read of that text (and your text), I think you're all
missing that with the M flag set, DHCPlite only clients should *ALSO* do
DHCPv6 (though they'll only get "other configuration information"). The
existing text implies to use DHCPv6 for addresses; not that all clients
that are capable of DHCPv6 (either 3315 or 3736) run DHCPv6.

Personally I've come to hate DHCPlite (3736) because it unnecessarily
complicates matters. To me, M-bit set means:
  - send SOLICIT if client's DHCPv6 implementation supports it (ie, RFC
3315), or
  - send INFORMATION-REQUEST if not (ie, RFC 3315 or 3736), or
  - do nothing if no DHCPv6 support.
If O-bit is set (and M-bit wasn't), send INFORMATION-REQUEST only or do
nothing if no DHCPv6 support.

And SHOULD is the correct terminology. If you or anyone else has good
reason not do so, then you're free to do so. SHOULD is *NOT* MUST. It
specifies the *DEFAULT* behavior which is what we're trying to do here.

It is amazing how difficult it has been to document two bits!

- Bernie