Hello,

Thanks for your reply.
Please see below:

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 15:11 -0700, Bob Hinden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Jun 8, 2006, at 4:35 AM, ext Pars Mutaf wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a standard way of constructing
> > an interface ID from human name?
>
> Ignoring for now if this is good or bad idea, but you might look at
>
>    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-
> lookups-15.txt

It looks like ICMP name lookups can also be used to do the same thing.
However, I couldn't understand why I would use a side protocol
(i.e. an ICMP protocol).

My proposal uses basic IPv6. BTW, the draft is now available at
the IETF site:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mutaf-ipv6humid-00.txt

> There is a mechanism there to create multicast addresses based on a
> host name that might be a starting point.
>

> > I would like to configure an interface ID
> > hash(ParsMutaf| 1) and if it collides
> > hash(ParsMutaf| 2) etc..
> >
> > You can try reach or locate me
> > by sending a packet to (please do not
> > hesitate):
> >
> > subnetprefix | hash(ParsMutaf| 1) or
> > subnetprefix | hash(ParsMutaf| 2)
>
> The big usage problem here is that without knowing your "subnetprfix"
> it won't be very useful.  That leads me to wonder how useful it would
> be to find you.

If we are in the same subnet (same building, campus, village, city,
etc), we already know the destination's subnet prefix.

> > Is there a standard way of doing this?
> > For example there should be space between
> > first and last name? etc.
>
> On Jun 12, 2006, at 1:35 AM, ext Pars Mutaf wrote:
>
> > No it is a good question.
> >
> > The idea is that when the DNS is down (or unreachable),
> > and/or Mobile IPv6 home agent is down etc, and there is no way
> > to locate and reach the destination host, then I can try to
> > use this technique.
> >
> > Imagine an earthquake scenario. In Turkey in 1999
> > cellular phones saved lives. Imagine you are trying to call
> > someone, but you can't get his address because
> > of some infrastructure failures. etc..
> >
> > You know his name, then using hash(firstname lastname) you can
> > construct his interface ID. This might be helpful. You can
> > try to reach him at its human Ipv6 address. Hopefully his phone
> > configured a human Ipv6 address.
>
> Also, see the above referenced ID.  It's not too hard to do this on a
> single link, but trying to scale this to the Internet gets very hard
> very fast.

In fact, it doesn't have to scale to the Internet. We may
know the whereabouts of the destination node. In other words, we may
have a list of subnet prefixes that cover the target zone where
the destination user lives.
(obtained from Google for example, or another service like that).

If one of the single point of failures (e.g. DNS, or Mobile IPv6 home
agent) is unreachable, I can search the destination node by sending
packets to its HUMID at different subnets where it is likely to be
found.

> It is probably better for the earthquake scenario you
> describe to do this at a higher level (e.g., have a website called "i-
> am-alive.org" and make it easy for people to leave messages and for
> people to search people they are trying to find out about).

The "i-am-alive.org" approach may suffer from the same problems.
I.e. it may be unreachable. In addition, who will maintain such a
web site... Nobody cares until the disaster actually happens.

In fact, the disaster scenario is not the only motivation IMO.
For example, I want to install an IPv6 testbed with 'n' machines.
I'm not installing DNS and I'm not configuring the /etc/hosts
files (because n times (n-1) entries would be needed).
Using HUMID, I can give IPv6 addresses based
on imaginary human names to the machines (during installation).
Human name is easy to remember. No need to configure stateful
name->address mappings. I can start to ping right away.

> Doing it on a single link might be useful in some adhoc scenarios.

It can be done using my proposal (HUMID) or the ICMP name lookup
protocol as you suggest. But HUMID is simpler because it uses basic
IPv6. We don't need to define a new protocol for this.

In either case (HUMID or, ICMP name lookup) we will need a standard
representation of human name:

John Smith
JohnSmith
johnsmith

which one?

With HUMID, this is the only point that needs standardization.

Thank you.

pars