Hi John,

Regarding sensors,
- some applications (e.g. sensors for process control in factories) require
strong security, but dedicated security mechanism are used (in ISA standard for
industrial automation as an example), the main difference with IPSec being the
importance of the "lightweigt" requirement. A security mechanism and associated
algorithms for such sensors might use much less processing power, memory...
than standard IP mechanisms
- some applications might not require any security, e.g. a light sensor in your
flat might not need it and not implement it, also due to the very low cost of
the sensor.

Cheers,
John

Julien Abeillé
Software Engineer
Technology Center
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax:+41 21 822 1604
Cisco Systems International Sàrl
Av. des Uttins 5
1180 Rolle
Switzerland (FR)
www.cisco.com

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by
others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and delete all copies of this message.