While I agree that by and large security is a good priority, there are
cases for lightweight protocols to conserve cost.  One example would be
remote reporting thermometers that I actually use on IPv4 now.  They are
non-configurable, they have no settings other than network config.  You
plug them in, give them an address, and they have a lightweight web
server and read-only snmp that will display sensor temperature when
queried.

I like to have these sensors scatterred throughout my enterprise.  There
is nothing to hack, they posess virtually no memory, and if they get
hacked my world will not end, I will double check the temperature
manually, unpower the device, plug it back in, and it will reload from
it's read-only boot rom.  I would really prefer that these devices cost
$40 instead of $200 .

We could put all sorts of security on these devices, making them more
expensive than they are worth, or we can plug them in, enjoy their
benefits, and accept the risk.

I have customers that run computers from live-CD's, who want the network
to perform, and are not worried about security.  They are only connected
while the user is at the keyboard, if they suspect a compromise they
reboot and are back where they started.  They like the fact that they
can have internet cheaply and easily.  These customers do not want a
secure configuration with pass phrases and keys and whatnot, they want a
four click config that gets then online.

Whether these use cases are good or bad doesn't really matter, what
matters is that they do exist and the customer should have decision
making authority for their network.

JMHO

Kevin