I agree the suggested fix isn't ambiguous and hence fixes the problem.
However it doesn't follow the :: recommendation or the lower-case
recommendation.  I'd probably recommend using
::ffff:127.0.0.0/104
in the errata (::ffff:7f00/104 would of course be ambiguous/incorrect).

> > And explicitly recommend that forms for which dotted decimal is
> > legal should always be displayed with dotted decimal rather than
> > hex.
>
> On 2009-05-15 06:58, Dave Thaler wrote:
>
> > I'll note that the netstat output below is arguably non-standard
> since it includes
> > port numbers without encosing the address in [].
> > (The arguable part is whether [] is limited to URLs or applies in
> general)
>
> As far as I know it's defined for URIs in RFC3986 and SIP in RFC3261.

Yep.

> > Windows would display them as [::]:22 etc.
> >
> > Perhaps this draft should be extended to cover text representation
> > of IPv6 addresses + ports, and discuss this issue?
>
> The combination of RFC3261 and draft-ietf-sip-ipv6-abnf-fix
> is supposed to combine the RFC4291 syntax, the RFC3986 square
> brackets, and :port, such that [::]:22 would indeed be the result,
> whereas 127.0.0.1:22 would be the result for IPv4.
>
> http://[2001:4860:b003::68]:80 works fine with Firefox and IE.
>
> I agree that it would be reasonable to recommend this as best practice.

Yep, the problem with the notation quoted in Brian Haley's email is
that "2001:4860:b003::68:80" when viewed without knowing the context
is ambiguous as to whether it's an IPv6 address, or an IPv6 address +
port 80.

-Dave