On 2009-08-05 06:39, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 4 aug 2009, at 19:57, Rémi Després wrote:
>
>> RFC 3697, which is on standards track, specifies how to use flowlabels.
>> I would personally have no objection to it's deprecation, but it's here.
>
> Since apparently nobody looks at it today, I'm tempted to attempt to
> scavenge some header bits there. For re-ecn we need one bit and I could
> use three or so as a path selector for path selection in multipath TCP...

That's not so easy. The bits aren't up for grabs and they aren't microcoded
like the Traffic Class bits (which is why ECN was possible in the first
place). It may be entirely possible to devise a use case that falls within
RFC3697 where you could encode some bits; that RFC was very carefully
written to allow a very wide variety of uses. In fact the only real
rule, when you come down to it, is that the 20 bits must be delivered
exactly as sent. Pretty much everything else is allowed if you use the
MAYs and SHOULDs creatively.

   Brian