The dataset analyzed is not relevant to today's networking
connectivity or technologies. Looking very quickly at a small set of
data I have access to (servers serving web content to the internet
users):

32,945,810,591 packets received, 0 dropped due to bad checksum (ip
header checksum)

1,004,728,008 datagrams received, 0 bad checksum, 15886 with no
checksum (udp datagram stats)

Just polling the routers here, I see a similar scenario, e.g.,

4,166,900,871 packets 0 dropped due to bad checksum

Marshal, do your routers actually calculate the checksums of the packets they process?

Shane, are you sure that checksums aren't be calculated lower down in the hardware than your counters are counting? I have seen cases where error counters showed up as zero, because the packets that would have invoked those errors were already discarded at a lower level.

Margaret