CCing the IAB because I think we are reaching a slippery architectural slope. Hopefully they can help us out.

On 7 aug 2009, at 20:43, Shane Amante wrote:

Therefore, I'll have to revise my original recommendation in the first bullet above that we only consider UDP with 0 checksums as the preferred short-term solution when IPv6 is being used as the outer encapsulation,

I don't see that. Currently, there isn't that much IPv6 traffic in the first place, and certainly not between the same source/ destination addresses. So the lack of a fine-grained optimal solution to the load balancing issue is not a problem in practice. This affords us the relative luxury of being able to ignore current problems in implementations and do the right thing, rather than be forced to do something ugly and difficult (that would be UDP with no checksum).

In that case, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

Well, we still either have UDP encapsulation with a 0 checksum for LISP over IPv6 or not.

and in doing so, I'd like to take the liberty of quoting Vince Fuller's message to this list back on 8/4/2009, where he says it better than I could:
---snip---
> Current operational reality is that the installed base of transit routers > on the Internet uses a hash of source/dest addres/port to split traffic > across LAGs so LISP uses an encapsulation that is compatible with that
> reality.
>
> Specifying some alternate reality and hoping that the operational world will > modify its behavior to match doesn't seem very practical, particularly since > one of LISP's virtues is that it requires no changes to the transit routing
> system.
---snip---

The problem with adopting that logic and adopting a UDP header for LISP even though that would require breaking the IPv6 spec just because router vendors haven't gotten around to implementing ECMP based on the flow label is that it cements us into a TCP/UDP view of the world with IPv6 just like NATs did for IPv4.

In my opinion, the possible short term pain of less than optimal load balancing in a few places with high IPv6 LISP traffic is worth it if that allows us to proceed in an architecturally clean way.