On 5 aug 2009, at 16:16, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

What I am asking is whether IPv6 routers containing that silicon exist in real-world deployments in large enough numbers that they should be considered in our design choices.

The real question is how many of these routers use parallel links towards other IPv6 routers where balancing traffic on the 3-tuple (addresses + next header) wouldn't provide sufficient balancing of the traffic over the links.

Assuming a reasonable number of different hosts communicating through the link bundle, this will only be problematic when any two hosts are responsible for a significant fraction of the bandwidth of an individual link, but communicate using multiple sessions. If we assume these are at least 1 Gbps, we'd only have trouble when a single host has several 200 Mbps+ session to another IPv6 host through the link bundle.

Considering the fact that the total native IPv6 traffic through the AMS-IX currently peaks at around 1.5 Gbps I manage to not lose sleep over the risk of not being able to load balance more granularly than on the 3-tuple in IPv6 currently.