Dave,

>> my view is entirely different.
>> the 64 bit boundary is a suggested policy and not normative.
>
> That's not true.  RFC 4291 is the addressing architecture and normatively
> states:
>
>   For all unicast addresses, except those that start with the binary
>   value 000, Interface IDs are required to be 64 bits long and to be
>   constructed in Modified EUI-64 format.

right, no RFC2119 language there. apart from that, implementations support and
people are using prefixes longer than /64 today. so we can either choose to put
our head in the sand or adjust specifications to reality.

> Furthermore 129 addresses in every subnet are reserved.  See RFC 2526.
>
>   Within each subnet, the highest 128 interface identifier values are
>   reserved for assignment as subnet anycast addresses.
>
> These are assigned by IANA
> (http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-anycast-addresses)
>
> So you cannot have any unicast addresses in any subnet with a prefix
> longer than /120.   However, the point is, you don't need to.

I think the purpose of this draft is to say that you can. but you cannot use
reserved anycast addresses on these links, nor can you make assumptions about
the u/g bits.

> You just use the off-link model.
>
>> IPv6 is not classful.
>> two routers on a /127 are on-link to each other. two /128s would make them
>> off-link.
>
> Be careful not to confuse the terminology.  The definition of "on-link" is in
> RFC 4861.

what definition do you use?

if you want to define two nodes as off-link to each other you might use two
/128s.
if I use a /127 then this bullet of 4861's on-link definition applies. i.e
these two nodes are directly connected, as they have addresses out of the same
/127.

- it is covered by one of the link's prefixes (e.g.,
                      as indicated by the on-link flag in the Prefix
                      Information option), or

(it appears to me that people coming at this from a routing perspective have
quite different models in mind than people coming at it from a host
perspective...)

>> a off-link node cannot make any assumption on the use of subnet-router
>> anycast addresses, reserved anycast space or the validity of u/g bits.
>
> That's not true either.  The RFCs quoted above have no such restriction
> on what off-link nodes can assume.

my point is that an implementation cannot assume that setting the last 64 bits
to zero will give you a valid subnet-router anycast address. nor that taking a
random 64 bit prefix and using the reserved anycast address will work nor that
you can glean anything certain from u/g bits.

cheers,
Ole