On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Alain Durand wrote:
I've yet to see a router that only implements point-to-point
interfaces.

It seems that those days, most (if not all) links in service provider networks
are point to point.
You find ethernet shared access mostly in leaf networks, such as home or
enterprises.

When writing an implementation, the router vendor has no way of knowing whether an Ethernet link is used to connect only two routers, or something else. So it needs to implement redirects.

Further, an Ethernet link that connects two routers is not by default a point-to-point link from 1) RFC4861 perspective or 2) interface flags perspective (whether ND is used for address resolution) like SONET. As far as I know, it is not even possible to configure e.g. Juniper routers to do either 1) or 2).