Le 12 août 2010 à 21:47, Alain Durand a écrit :

> I have a question about draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis-05.txt.
> Section 5.2:
>
>   Redirect functionality SHOULD be supported.  If the node is a router,
>   Redirect functionality MUST be supported.
>
> However, draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis-05.txt refer to the normative text on
> Neighbor Discovery, ie RFC4861 that says:
> Section 8.2:
>

> A router SHOULD send a redirect message, subject to rate limiting,
>   whenever it forwards a packet that is not explicitly addressed to
>   itself (i.e., a packet that is not source routed through the router)
>   in which:
>
>      - the Source Address field of the packet identifies a neighbor,
>        and
>
>      - the router determines (by means outside the scope of this
>        specification) that a better first-hop node resides on the same
>        link as the sending node for the Destination Address of the
>        packet being forwarded, and
>
>      - the Destination Address of the packet is not a multicast
>        address.

In my understanding, this says that a router that has no means to ever find a
better next hop never needs to send a redirect message.
An simple unmanaged home gateway, for example, may therefore not need to
support any redirect-message transmission.
It may still have to process redirect messages received at its wan interface
(at least if this interface is neither to a P2P link nor to a virtual link a la
6to4), but would not need a complete redirect functionality.

One approach in draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis-05 could then be:
"Redirect functionality SHOULD be supported, subject to conditions set forth in
section 8.2 of RFC 4861."

Regards,
RD