On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Rémi Després wrote:

It seems to be too late anyway:
- A LAN without ND/RA wouldn't support currently existing hosts

Why not? DHCP could populate the neighbour table with very long lifetime?

The only change I see would be for the operation of DHCPv6 to always run if there isn't any response to RS and no RA is seen.

Perhaps some minor changes need to be made to allow for populating the neighbour table statically (and set the timeouts to whatever is in the DHCP lease), but I don't see this as a major change in the IPv6 stack.

You're right, this doesn't work on unmodified hosts with standards that exists today, but the changes needed should be minor...

- A host without ND/RA wouldn't work on currently existing LANs

That's not what I'm proposing. I'm not talking about ripping out anything.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se