On Wed, 22 Sep 2010, Benny Amorsen wrote:

If you want to give customers public IPv4 addresses and they each get their own broadcast domain, you will have to give them 4 public IPv4 addresses per 1 usable address.

No, you don't. RFC3069.

I deployed one-vlan-per-customer-subvlan with a shared /27 supernet on Extreme Networks equipment in ~2002, the same thing can be done on Cisco as well ("ip address unnumbered lo10" and static routes for each /32 to a specific vlan interface).

This was for a static address assignment model (one static public IPv4 address per customer) for ADSL (ethernet DSLAMs), I'm sure there is the equivalent for DHCP, I just haven't had the need to deploy it so I haven't looked into it.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se